Sunday, May 20, 2007

18 days and counting

Sinusitis: the symptoms of this infection are headache, facial tenderness or pain and fever (...) cloudy, discolored nasal drainage, a feeling of nasal stuffiness, a sore throat, and a cough. (...) In allergic sinusitis other associated allergy symptoms of itching eyes and sneezing may be common. (...) Sinus infection may be classified in at least two ways, based on the time span of the problem (acute, subacute, or chronic ) and the type of inflammation (either infectious or noninfectious). Acute sinus infection is usually defined as being of less than 30 days duration; subacute sinus infection as being over 1 month but less than 3 months; and chronic sinus infection as being greater than 3 months duration.
(from MedicineNet.com)
photo:
www.docmartinsclinic.com

I can't breathe or sleep well, my head feels as if it's in a vice and I have no energy. There's a constant high-pitch humming in my ears and my throat is forever sore; I cough like an old woman and lose my voice easily.

I've been a good girl, really: I don't smoke and avoid smoky places -though this is a bit difficult here in Spain- drink lots of herbal tea with honey and lemon, plenty of water and steer clear of booze; breathe steam with eucalyptus, gargle whatever people have advised me -vinegar, salt, lemon and hot water (grandma's recipe), aspirin, honey and lemon, etc; don't do anything strenuous and I have taken my antibiotics.

Yet, it's been 18 days and I feel and look like death warmed up.
I want to exercise, work, cook, do the housework, take Nina for a walk. I want to give energetic, fun lessons. I want to be normal yet I feel like shit.

Tomorrow I'll go back to the doc's, I wonder what he'll say and do this time?
Oh, I'm so sick of feeling sick, why don't I get better?

No comments: